Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week 3

-->
This past week, I implemented STEM materials into my writing lessons.



During the middle of the week, we finished up our poetry unit and started to move into opinion writing. Our first lesson was on how to write a hook. In order to learn how to write about hooks, I first modeled four different types of hooks (question, fact, quote, and short story) using science or technology articles I had read.




After showing my examples, I had students read on article on whether or not Beluga Whales should be put in zoos or aquariums(http://www.timeforkids.com/news/debate/80636). Now I know you’re probably think how does that relate to science? Many people when they think of science only think about space or chemistry. There is another part of science that is often overlooked, biology. Children at this age love to learn about various animals and their habitats. I took that interest and geared it toward an article that questions whether they think beluga whales should be put in zoos and aquariums.



The next day, as a small group of students were finishing up their poem books, I had a large group sit with me in the front of the class on the floor and go over the hooks we created after reading the article on Beluga Whales. I read aloud a random selection of hooks (keeping the names of the students anonymous) and had students gauge with their thumbs whether is was great (thumbs up), okay but needs a little work (thumb to the side), and eh needs a lot of work (thumbs down). The students were eager to hear the hooks they created and give their feedback as to what could make it a better hook. I noticed that most students picked the fact hook. To me this is great because it is cementing information into student’s minds about a science topic (biology). The information that we tend to remember is information that we enjoyed or were fascinated about when we learned it.



After the group review of our hooks, I had students conduct a writer’s workshop. In this particular writers workshop, students looked at four images that I found on NASA’s Image of the Day (http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html). In order to give students a little background information, I went through each of the four pictures. As I went through each picture I first asked students what they could tell or what they knew about what was going on in the picture. I then gave information as to what was going on in each picture. By having these two components (student shared information and teacher shared information), students built background knowledge that helped them to complete their task for today. The task I had for this particular writers workshop is as follows:



“Look at the four images displayed around the classroom. Pick 1 image and write about what is going on in the image in either a poem style, narrative style, or other writing style we have learned about this year. If you finish, choose another image and a different writing style.”



The results were amazing! As I introduced each picture there were a lot of “ooo’s” and “ahh’s” from the students. The loved the various images that I brought. They were fascinated by the images and what they were. Students were eager to start as I went through each of the images. When I sent the students on their way to write about the image of their choice, students had excited expressions upon their faces. Throughout the next 20 minutes, the students were silent and deeply engaged in their writing. Seeing this as an intern made me both proud and excited. I love when I see my students so engaged in a topic to the point where everyone is deeply involved in their work. The students wrote excellent pieces about their images (examples below). At the end of class, I had to stop the students because they were deeply engaged in the activity. This is usually not the normal. Students will usually finish and start talking to their friends because they simply just want to “get it done”. Observing the increased engagement of my students today supports my idea that STEM materials and activities that increase engagement in the class.



As I read the students poems, I realized how much the images really captured them. The poems and stories the students wrote were excellent. They really captured what was going on in the image, used the background knowledge to create their writing, and were able to do so in a way that hooked me into their pieces. They showed me their curiosity for what was going on in the images. My opinion is that if you find materials that really interest and capture student’s attention like these images that I obtained from NASA did, then you have the ability to produce fascinating, attention grabbing, excellent writers.



***All students are kept anonymous for the protection of privacy.



Laser

Laser up

            Up

                Up

Keep going to space

Until you come back

I’ll be waiting



Even though now you want be a laser

You’ll be a shuttle



Earth in Space

Earth in space is really amazing

But everyday and every night,

All our electricity is just wasting.

You are bright and even unused,

And you even have the nerve to get everyone else accused.

Even though your hair may be curled,

There’s no excuse for hurting our world.



Rocket Launch

Flames shoot through the end,

Of a rocket,

As it takes off into space.



SHOOOO!

Flying up, up, up!

To see the sun, the moon,

The stars.



Stars

Stars

Clusters of them

Shining, gleaming

In another Galaxy

Are there lots?

Are there little?

Are they strong?

Are they brittle?

Discovered by NASA

Not all though

There are still some hidden

To and fro



Stars Stars

Stars, Stars

How Bright You Shine.

Leading All To A Galaxy.

Millions upon zillions

In a pile you shape.

Waiting to be discovered

You sit still wondering.

How far is the moon from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment